Data discoveries of the week. This week we look at charts on Indian startup fundings in 2022, global headline inflation easing & it’s effect on long-term interest rates, Job data in the US, a chart visualizing greenhouse gas emissions per kg of different types of milk, and more.
1. Funding for startups was relatively muted in 2022, but Indian tech cos did raise $25 billion + in this period.
After a blockbuster 2021, startup funding in 2022 was relatively muted. Even then Indian tech companies managed to raise over $25 billion in 12 months. pic.twitter.com/yBc6gtGekJ
— Kuvera (@Kuvera_In) February 8, 2023
2. Among leading global economies, India seems to have best managed its debts since Q2 of FY08
Interesting data point… Germany and India seem to have managed debt level well against global economies since Q2 fy08 pic.twitter.com/03qw4U5N6S
— Amit Gadre (@Longterm_wealth) February 6, 2023
3. Central banks across the world have been aggressively hiking interest rates as inflation rose to the highest levels in decades. Now, the headline inflation seems to be easing, causing a sharp decline in global longer-term interest rates and boosting financial markets in advanced economies and emerging markets alike.
Despite sharp monetary policy tightening, financial conditions have eased in the US & Euro area, posing a challenge for central banks when the fight against inflation is not over.@TobiasAdrian1 "Investors may be too sanguine about progress on disinflation" https://t.co/hPN5XoOh3I pic.twitter.com/8FjHZhsveS
— Gita Gopinath (@GitaGopinath) February 6, 2023
4. Job data in the US is now looking very good.
According to today’s jobs report, the economy added 517,000 jobs in January, for an average monthly gain of 356,000 over the past three months. 1/ pic.twitter.com/dfGJ05jFW2
— Council of Economic Advisers (@WhiteHouseCEA) February 3, 2023
5. But some say that a recession has always been preceded by good employment numbers. See the chart on recessions and employment rate.
Regardless of your outlook, saying the economy is ‘nowhere near a recession because the unemployment is so low’ goes against history of unemployment rate always near (or at) its lowest right before recession starts pic.twitter.com/ngSii61GBA
— Liz Ann Sonders (@LizAnnSonders) February 7, 2023
6. Food for thought. This chart visualizes greenhouse gas emissions per kg of different types of milk. Looks like cow’s milk causes the highest emissions and oat milk the lowest.
Some data for breakfast time: greenhouse gas emissions per kilogram of different milks.
The production of cow's milk causes the highest emissions – oat milk the lowest. pic.twitter.com/edhOP6mEDZ
— Max Roser (@MaxCRoser) February 7, 2023
7. Top 20 Cities for the wealthiest folks in the world.
Ranked: The World’s Wealthiest Cities, by Number of Millionaires 🌆
See the full list and find out more below:https://t.co/YIvZqzvICM pic.twitter.com/4UgfpAWw8j
— Visual Capitalist (@VisualCap) February 7, 2023
8. Are EVs getting mainstream globally? Data shows they cross 10% market share for the first time globally in 2022.
EVs hitting the growth stage of their technology S-curve, exceeding 10% market share last year: pic.twitter.com/gsRE5CWdP5
— Nick Reece (@nicholastreece) February 4, 2023
9. US Retail Sales growth trends. A spike in borrowing and a reduction in savings ensured it didn’t fall more last year.
US Retail Sales growth (nominal & real) since 1993… pic.twitter.com/AiirCDvFNz
— Charlie Bilello (@charliebilello) February 7, 2023
10. Bond portfolios hit US banks. Over 1000 banks took losses of $4.7 billion in 2022.
Banks took the biggest hit to their bond portfolios since 2008
~1,100 banks, or about a quarter of all lenders, recognized $4.7 billion in losses on their investment portfolios in 2022https://t.co/6Ga01QKzyd @WSJmarkets @BenEisen pic.twitter.com/Tp4GaSx1Zq
— Gunjan Banerji (@GunjanJS) February 7, 2023
Interested in how we think about the markets?
Read more: Zen And The Art Of Investing
Watch here: All about multi cap funds with Rahul Singh, CIO – equities, Tata Asset Management
Start investing through a platform that brings goal planning and investing to your fingertips. Visit kuvera.in to discover Direct Plans and Fixed Deposits and start investing today. #MutualFundSahiHai #KuveraSabseSahiHai