Data discoveries of the week. This week we look at charts on largest military spendings in the world, S&P500 past trend, Dow Jones calendar year returns, Energy prices of various countries in 2022 and more.
1. A brilliant visualisation shows how much of each metal you can buy with $1000.
— Elements (@VCElements) January 4, 2023
2. A cautionary tale on timing the markets: This chart based on data from Bank of America shows what happens when you miss the best and the worst days of each decade. Moral – Stay consistent, don’t try to time.
Why you shouldn't try to time the market: pic.twitter.com/Go1C32psuS
— Compounding Quality (@QCompounding) January 3, 2023
3. The S&P 500 ended 2022 down 18%. The only years since 1940 with a larger decline were 1974, 2002, and 2008
— Charlie Bilello (@charliebilello) December 31, 2022
4. Dow Jones calendar year returns since 1900.
– The average return on the Dow Jones since 1900 is 7.5%.
– The number of calendar years the return came in between 5-10% equals 11 out of a possible 123.
– That's less than 9% of the time!
— jeroen blokland (@jsblokland) January 3, 2023
5. Investors and analysts watch the Russel Index as a benchmark for U.S.-based ultra-large-cap stocks. The Russell 3000 is a capitalization-weighted stock market index. This chart shows that the Russell 3000 Value index outperformed the Russell 3000 Growth index in 2022 by its largest margin since 2001.
‘The Russell 3000 Value index outperformed the Russell 3000 Growth index by almost 20 percentage points, its largest margin in Dow Jones Market Data records going back to 2001.’ https://t.co/unDdz9GaST pic.twitter.com/J1MAeysvpx
— Jesse Felder (@jessefelder) January 2, 2023
6. While we don’t agree with the India map shown here, take a look at comparative gasoline prices per gallon across the world.
Mapped: Global Energy Prices, by Country in 2022 ⛽️
— Elements (@VCElements) December 31, 2022
7. Take a look at the largest spenders on defence across the world. India at No. 3 with spends of $76.6 billion.
— Visual Capitalist (@VisualCap) January 5, 2023
8. The euro started weak this year, but there are indications of a major rally.
Despite a weak start of the year for the euro, the currency has entered a golden cross. A golden cross is a technical chart pattern indicating the potential for a major rally.
— Lev Borodovsky (@thedailyshot) January 4, 2023
9. While the US experiences a bomb cyclone, Europe seems to be experiencing rising temperatures in the middle of winter, plummeting energy demand.
WINTER HEAT WAVE: I have updated the chart below with latest data showing the huge temperature anomaly that Europe experienced over New Year.
Mild weather is crushing energy demand, sending European gas and power prices sharply lower.
— Javier Blas (@JavierBlas) January 3, 2023
10. Ending this week’s edition with some data you can crunch on. Here’s the market share of companies in the Indian Papad market.
Market Share of Key Players in the Organised Papad Market in India
Indian Organised Papad Market is estimated to be around Rs 2,300 Crores and is growing at 10% CAGR as per Frost & Sullivan's analysis.
Which papad brand do you consume?
Source: Bikaji Foods DRHP pic.twitter.com/ZOT3uVqzyR
— Intrinsic Compounding (@soicfinance) January 5, 2023
Interested in how we think about the markets?
Read more: Zen And The Art Of Investing
Watch here: Kuvera Insights: All about Quant Funds with experts
Start investing through a platform that brings goal planning and investing to your fingertips. Visit kuvera.in to discover Direct Plans and Fixed Deposits and start investing today. #MutualFundSahiHai #KuveraSabseSahiHai